Turning a shirt into a skirt is pretty straightforward, the only additional piece I had to include was a 2” / 5 cm elastic for the waistband.
Brief outline on how to make:
- Button up the shirt and machine-sew closed the front overlap section.
- Take off the sleeves, collar and remove the front of the shirt from the from the back of the shirt.
- Cut a straight line across the very top of the shirt front. Leaving as much as possible of the original armhole in position. This will become the top of the front pocket.
- Cut the back of the shirt into a rectangular, removing the shirt top panel and the back of the armholes.
- Using the material in the sleeves cut out two pockets and sew the pockets in position.
- Pleats can also be added to the front of the skirt at this point. (Optional)
- Using a French seam attach the front and back of the skirt together.
- Cut the bottom of the skirt level and sew a small double hem in place.
- Stretch the elastic around your waist to measure how much you need.
- Sew the elastic together at the ends to make a circle.
- Using a double needle attach the elastic to the top of the skirt.